New Zealand Explorer
Visit both the North and South Island on this nine-day tour through the best of New Zealand. Explore the stunning North Island and its geothermal park, stargaze around Lake Tekapo (the world's largest dark sky reserve), and cruise along fjords, cliff walls, and waterfalls in Doubtful Sound. Cross a few items off your bucket list by visiting the adventure capital of the world with pretty much every thrilling sport at your fingertips (paragliding, skydiving, jet boating). It is, after all, the birthplace of the bungee jump.
Dec 6, 2020 (Sunday) - Auckland
Dec 7, 2020 (Monday) - Auckland
Dec 8, 2020 (Tuesday) - Rotorua
Dec 9, 2020 (Wednesday) - Rotorua/Christchurch (flight)
Dec 10, 2020 (Thursday) - Lake Ohau
Dec 11, 2020 (Friday) - Queenstown
Dec 12, 2020 (Saturday) - Doubtful Sound
Dec 13, 2020 (Sunday) - Queenstown
Dec 14, 2020 - (Monday) - Queenstown - Departure Day
Ready to Book?
- 1 night hotel in Auckland
- 2 nights hotel in Rotorua
- 1 night hotel in Christchurch
- 1 night hotel in Lake Ohau
- 3 nights hotel in Queenstown
- Resourceful Ōtautahi Walking Tour in Christchurch
- Central Otago District Winery Visit and Tasting
- Waitomo Caves visit
- Maori cultural experience
- Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park visit with hiking opportunity (weather permitting)
- Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park Visitor's Centre visit
- Fiordland National Park visit
- Doubtful Sound day cruise
- 8 breakfasts
- Lunch - Included during the Doubtful Sound excursion
- Dinner - traditional Hangi meal at the Maori Village
- Dinner - at Lake Ohau on Day 5
- All transportation to and from included activities in a private vehicle
- Doubtful Sound cruise
- Flight from Rotorua to Christchurch
- Rene from Grand Explorations Travel will escort the group
- Private New Zealand tour guide for the duration of the trip
- Local expert guides where appropriate
- International Flights to Auckland and from Queenstown
- Any meals and drinks not listed under Inclusions
- Any activities not listed under Inclusions
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel Insurance (Can be purchased here from Travel Guard. Travelers are required a sum of $200,000 for both emergency evacuation and repatriation.
- A visa is required for American citizens traveling to New Zealand. You must get an eTA before your flight. An eTA is delivered electronically, and is tied directly to your passport. It should be obtained online at this link before traveling to New Zealand.
- Please be aware that wifi and internet access is not as readily available in New Zealand as in other parts of the world. There are often additional charges to connect to the internet, and speeds may be slower than what you are used to.
- While it is our intention to adhere to the route described below, there is a certain amount of flexibility built into the itinerary and on occasion it may be necessary, or desirable to make alterations. The itinerary is brief, as we never know exactly where our journey will take us. Due to this style of travel and the regions we visit, travel can be unpredictable.