Ask anyone interested in other cultures about traveling to Cartagena, Columbia and it is likely that they will gush about this beautiful and unique destination. One of the most frequently visited cities in the region, it is a historic walled city (reason enough to pay a visit and tour the ancient sites), but it is also a city with an amazing waterfront, a truly unique combination of cultures, and a place with an unbeatable Caribbean climate all year round.
If those are not adequate reasons to consider contacting me to plan your visit to Cartagena, Columbia, here are five more reasons it should be on everyone’s “must-see” list:
1. The History – A modern and vibrant place, Cartagena is undoubtedly a historic one, too. It was frequently home to pirates and often besieged (which is why it was a walled city). It is home to many historic forts and even San Felipe Castle, which you will want to discuss with us in order to arrange a visit. There are colonial era streets and few of the city’s streets are without a sign of the past.
2. The Cuisine – With native cuisine and the imported Spanish cuisine, plus the development of unique local dishes over the centuries, the city is a foodie’s paradise. Travelers are always encouraged to sample regional favorites like ajiaco and bandeja paisa, but there are also Cartagena classics like fried fish plates, Cazuela de Mariscos, shrimp in garlic butter, sancocho soup, and more. Fresh foods from market stalls and fine dining are all options.
3. The Culture – From the gorgeous palenqueras from the village of San Basilio de Palenque to the street art of the Getsemani neighborhood, the city is quite literally brimming over with culture. There are festivals on a regular basis and throughout the year, and the local art scene is amazingly dynamic. Visitors will want tours of the Plaza de la Aduana and the Museo del Arte Moderno to get a taste of the city’s remarkable art community. Music and dancing are a part of the city’s cultural heritage and travelers can experience champeta dancing or visit some of the amazing clubs.
4. The Beaches – With Caribbean coastal beaches, Cartagena has a lot of amazing sands for travelers to explore. A boat ride to islands just off the coast (like Isla Grande, Rosario Islands, and Playa Blanca, among others) may be one of the most remarkable ways to experience the city from a distance, which I can help you to arrange.
5. The Photos – A wildly photogenic destination, Cartagena is a photographer’s dream. Whether you are with a group tour or experiencing the destination on your own, a camera is a must to capture all of the amazing sights.
You now have quite a few reasons that Cartagena, Columbia belongs on your must-see list. Now is the time to get in touch with me to arrange a visit full of experiences and premium accommodations. You can also consider joining me when I visit in March on this organized tour.